We’ve put together a list of the best summer vacation spots in India. Add these places to your bucket list before planning a trip to India for a heartwarming experience. Surprisingly, they are not only spread across an area but also throughout the entire country. You can enjoy a variety of hill stations, cities, and towns without breaking a sweat even in the scorching summers.
- Manali: The Snowy Mountains
- Auli: Coolest Place In India
- Nainital: Lush Hills
- Shimla: A History Rich City
- Ladakh: Beige Hillscape
1. Manali:The Snowy Mountains
Manali evokes images of green mountains surrounded by snow-covered ranges, a breath of fresh air, and a relaxing vacation. Manali is among the most picturesque places to visit in India in the summer. Natural beauty, lush greenery, and an abundance of flora and fauna adorn this place.
Ways to Reach Manali:
- Nearest Airport is Bhuntar, 50 km away from Manali
- Nearest rail head is in Chandigarh, 291 km away from Manali
- Road trip: Manali is 546 km away from Delhi
Ideal Trip Duration: 3-5 Days
Things To Do In Manali:
- In summer, adventure sports at Solang Valley are one of the best things to do in India. Paragliding, zorbing, quad biking, and many other activities are available here
- During the summer, visit Rohtang Pass to play in the snow
- Visit a bird sanctuary near you to spot the most beautiful migratory birds
- If you have more time, explore Kullu
Places To Stay: The Himalayan, Snow Valley Resorts, Himalayan Heights, Honeymoon Inn
Average Budget: ₹7,000-10,000 per person
Places To Eat: Casa Bella Vista, Chopsticks Restaurant, and The Johnson’s Cafe & Hotel
2. Auli: Coolest Place In India
As the coolest spot in India in summer, Auli welcomes travellers from around the world. It is a popular skiing destination for Indian winter as well as summer. It is among the best places to visit in India during the summer months due to the backdrop of green pastures and snow-capped peaks. Auli is definitely one of the best summer vacation spots in India because of its wonderful weather and scenic beauty.
Ways to Reach Auli:
- Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun is the nearest airport from Auli, located at a distance of 280 km.
- Nearest railhead from Auli is located in Haridwar, 285 km.
- Road trip: Nearest major city from Auli is Delhi, located 500 km away.
Ideal Trip Duration: 2-3 Days
Things To Do In Auli:
- Travel to Joshimath onboard the ropeway and enjoy bird’s-eye view.
- Go on trekking adventures to places like Gorson and Kuari Pass.
Places to Stay in Auli: The Apple Farm Stay, Kanasar Eco Lodge
Average Budget: ₹8,000-13,000 per person
Places to eat: Hotel Sun Mount, Kailash Foods, and Chinatown
3. Nainital: Lush Hills
In addition to being surrounded by majestic hills, Nainital is one of the most stunning summer destinations in India. With easy access and plenty of accommodation options, it is a favourite weekend getaway from cities such as Delhi and Chandigarh.
Ways to Reach Nainital:
- Pantnagar Airport is the nearest airport from Nainital, located 60 km away.
- Nearest railhead from Nainital is Kathgodam Railway Station, at a distance of 20 km.
- Road trip: Delhi is the nearest major city from Nainital. The distance between the two is 300 km.
Ideal Trip Duration: 2-3 Days
Things To Do In Auli:
- Enjoy boating in Naini Lake – one of the best things to do in Nainital.
- Trek to Tiffin Top for a mesmerizing view of the sunset or sunrise.
- Go bird-watching in Pangot and Kilbury Bird Sanctuary.
Places to Stay in Auli: The Naini Retreat, Shervani Hilltop Nainital, The Palace Belvedere
Average Budget: ₹7,500-10,500 per person
Places to eat: Simz Cafe, Zooby’s Kitchen, and Sakley’s Restaurant
4. Shimla: A History Rich City
The hill station of Shimla in Northern India is one of the most popular vacation spots during the summer and perfectly combines Indian magnificence with British elegance. The area is blessed with natural beauty and endowed with a rich history. Shimla has to be on your list of coolest places to visit in India in May and June if you’re looking for a relaxing yet fun getaway.
Ways to Reach Shimla:
- Nearest Airport is Chandigarh, 115 km away
- Nearest railhead is Kalka
- Road Trip: Shimla is 360 km away from Delhi
Ideal Trip Duration: 4-5 Days
Things To Do In Shimla:
- Mall road which fascinates the tourist the most
- Jakhu Hill is a short and a beautiful drive from Shimla. Visit Lord Hanuman’s Temple here
- Another major landmark is the Viceregal Lodge which was built during the British reign
- If you have a fetish for polo then stops over at Annandale which is 4km from the Ridge
Places to Stay in Shimla: Snow Valley Resorts, The Oberoi Cecil, Woodville Palace Hotel Shimla, Radisson Jass Shimla
Average Budget: ₹6,000-10,000 per person
Places to eat: Cafe Shimla Times, Himachali Rasoi, and Cecil Restaurant
5. Ladakh: Beige Hillscape
Ladakh is one of the most popular summer vacation destinations in India, if not the perfect vacation spot. In contrast to the blue lakes and sky, Ladakh’s beige craggy landscape was every biker’s dream holiday. The summer months are the prime time to visit Ladakh, making it one of India’s most popular summer vacation spots. Several of India’s most famous Buddhist monasteries, such as the Thiksey Monastery, add vibrant tones to the scene.
Ways to Reach Ladakh:
- Leh Airport in Ladakh is well-connected to cities like Delhi.
- Jammu Tawi Railway Station is located about 700 km from Leh city in Ladakh. This is the closest railway station from Ladakh.
- Road trip: The closest major city from Ladakh is Delhi, 1300 km away. If you’re planning a road trip from Delhi to Ladakh, then assure you take enough stoppages enroute and allow yourself to acclimatize.
Ideal Trip Duration: 5-7 Days
Things To Do In Ladakh:
- Explore the rocky routes of Ladakh on an Enfield.
- Experience sheer serenity beside the emerald Pangong Tso Lake.
- Take the camel rides through the sand dunes of Nubra Valley, one of the top places to visit in Ladakh.